Thursday 4 December 2008

'Best Of' 2008 Music.

Are it the end of the year already? Golly gosh. Whaddayear!

I sure do enjoy doing these year end-of lists, especially the music one. This would be that.

Overview: A cracker of a year for (dime-a-dozen) shitty pop, electro-buzzed R&B and the usual calamity of reality show winners and losers. Conversely, a lackluster year for the otherwise usually faithful commercial indie elite (namely the disappointing turns from Beck, Kaiser Chiefs, The Verve, Oasis etc.) was boosted by some absolutely belting returns from elder statesfolk, including; Kings Of Leon, Portishead, The Fratellis, Elbow and TV On The Radio. With welcome surprises coming from the likes of Glasvegas, The Sea and Cake, Plush, Bon Iver, The Hold Steady, Fleet Foxes etc.

What this means is, (by and large) a typical year in music. Some good new shit, some piss-poor shit from those who should know better. Some earning belters. Some wonderful surprises. Each and every one of them completely over-shadowed by a conveyor belt shitty, draining, cheap teeny pop (womaniser ... womaniser ... womaniser ... *sigh*).

These would be my five musical picks of the year 2008. In no particular order.

Rachel Yamagata. You can find out more about her, here.

I've chosen 'Worn Me Down' for your pleasure. It pretty much encapsulates the breezy, soulful energy of the whole album. The second-most listened to album of my iTunes this year (whatever significance this implies). View it, here.

-----

Beach House. You can discover more about Beach House, here.

I wanted to pick 'Some Things Last A Long Time' from their 'Devotion' album, but there be no YouTube available. Shucks! 'Gila' more than makes up for it, with it being probably the stand-out track of the album. Mental, creepy old video, too boot. Hear it, here.

-----

Basia Bulat. More about her, here.

I've picked 'In The Night' (Hay, those skeletons sure can dance!) for it's stripped-down, fuzzy-felt aesthetic, and big-beat tinged fun! Enjoy, here.

-----

The Kills. You can learn more them, here.

Their album 'Midnight Boom' may have been recorded with The Velvet Underground playing in the background. Raw and surprisingly genuine. I've picked 'Last Day Of Magic' for your attention. View it, here.

-----

The Dodos. More about those boys, here.

'Fools'. View, here. The Dodos' 'Visiter' is currently the most played album on my iTunes. I've chosen 'Fools' for it's stripped-down, melodic, song writing masterclass ... ness, brilliance. Catchier than ... herpes. Possibly. I should think these descriptives out before committing them.

Over to you, Kerja Relon for your picks. God help me if The fucking Ting Tings are on your list.

6 comments:

Kerja_Relon said...

I'm not sure I can make a tracks/albums of 2008 because I only bought 3 albums this year. One of which, unfortunately for you was The Ting Tings.

Looks like you had a helluva year enjoying your underground music though. You lucky mouse.

Back to Girls Aloud for me. :-(

Kerja_Relon said...

I agree on the LaBeouf sentiment too. Enough already we get it!

John said...

The other two albums were by Prince, weren't they?

Kerja_Relon said...

The other Two were Foals and The Script.

Kerja_Relon said...

Listen to The Pillows. They are like the Japanese Oasis. lol

John said...

I'll take a shot at the Pillows.

Fuck the Script.

Fuck 'em.